The WSSA's 65th Annual Conference (2023)
April 12 - April 15, 2023
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel
East 5th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
2023 Program Chair
University of West Georgia (retired)
Global Scholastic Services
THERE WILL NOT BE A PRINTED PROGRAM
A preliminary program will be posted on the website in early March; there will be a mobile program available for download beginning two weeks before the conference. The mobile program will be updated in real-time during the conference, to reflect changes in times, rooms, and speakers, as well as to send messages from the conference organizers to the attendees. Within about two weeks following the end of the conference, the final, official, program will be posted on the website, and will include all of the inevitable additions, subtractions, and changes that occur during the conference. That program will be downloadable.
Submissions must be made through the online submissions system on our website, not directly to the Section Coordinator, by December 10, 2022. To make a submission, authors must first create a user account on the system. After the account is created, authors can then go on to fill out the submission information.
Click here to create a user account, or to go to the submission and registration pages if you have already created an account for this year. PLEASE NOTE that usernames/passwords from previous conferences cannot be used on this new system.
All participants must register. See the "Registration" page for deadlines and fees. Refunds of registration fees will be available to persons who register for the conference and then learn that their papers were not accepted. See "Refund Policy"" below, for further information.
Click here for further registration information.
Code of Conduct
All WSSA attendees are expected to abide by the WSSA Code of Conduct, regarding courtesy, registration & badge policies, and recording. Please click here to read the Code.
The deadline to reserve rooms at the conference rate is March 21, 2023.
The Western Social Science Association considers all presentations made during the conference to be copyright-protected and only the presenter of the paper can give consent for the presentation to be recorded. Permission must be explicit, not implied, and given in writing.
New & Renewing Members: Please Note
If you are not able to attend the conference but wish to retain your subscription to the Social Science Journal, and your rights
- to vote in elections for Board Officers and Members,
- to participate in the annual Business Meeting, and
- to vote on matters set before the membership for decision,
there is a membership-only option.
- To choose that option for the 2022-2023 membership year (April 1, 2022 - March 31, 2023), click on the 2022-2023 Membership form.
- To choose that option for the 2023-2024 membership year (April 1, 2023 - March 31, 2024), click on the 2023-2024 Membership form.
Disability Accessibility Services
For in-person conferences, WSSA will make every reasonable effort to arrange for motorized scooters, sign-language interpreters, sighted guides, and other communication avenues for conference registrants who need them. WSSA cannot support any ADA requests for support that are not directly related to the activities of the conference.
This includes, but is not limited to, guided tours, activities, and other events which may be provided by a third party affiliated with but not primarily a part of the WSSA conference (e.g., tours and trips provided by affiliates and sections, local universities, etc.). Please email the Meeting Services staff by no later than February 1 of the conference year to identify the accommodation that you need. The Meeting Services staff will contact you to discuss needs and possible arrangements.
- Both submission of a presentation, and registration as a conference participant, give consent to the WSSA to contact the submitter and/or registrant with information regarding the conference.
- Submission of a presentation gives consent for the WSSA to forward the submitter's contact information to the Coordinator of the section to which the presentation has been submitted or referred.
- Registration confers membership in the WSSA and gives consent to the WSSA to send the member the Social Science Journal and WSSA News subscriptions to which registration entitles the participant, for the period of the membership. Members may opt-out of their subscriptions at any time.
Both registrations as a participant and submission of a presentation give consent for the WSSA to send a "Call for Papers" for upcoming conferences. Persons receiving these "Calls" may opt out of further messages at any time.
If your organization would like to post an announcement about an upcoming event or conference that will be of interest to WSSA members, please contact the Communications Director, Kate Herke. Appropriate announcements will be posted under the "Other Organizations' Upcoming Conferences" link, below the "Conferences" tab.
Requests for refunds of conference registration must be made in writing, to the Conference Manager, at WSSA.Admin@WesternSocialScienceAssociation.org.
- Persons who pre-registered for the conference and then were notified that their submissions were declined, are eligible for full refunds IF they request the refund, by email to WSSA.Admin@WesternSocialScienceAssociation.org, within two weeks of the notification that the submission was declined.
- Requests made by March 12 will receive approximately 90% of the amount originally paid (amount paid, minus the amount that the credit card companies will charge us to make the refund).
- Requests made by March 20 will receive approximately 75% of the amount originally paid (amount paid, minus both the amount that the credit card companies charged us for the original transaction AND the amount they will charge us to make the refund).
- Requests made by March 28 will receive approximately 65% of the amount originally paid.
- No refunds will be made after March 28.
All WSSA attendees are expected to abide by the WSSA Conduct, regarding courtesy, registration & badge policies, and recording. Please click here to read the Code.